Thursday 17 March 2011

St. Paddy's Soup




Today was kind of a blah day and what better way to chase away the blahs then to make a nice big pot of piping hot soup!  And lets not forget that it's St. Patrick's day today.....where people all over the world become Irish.....even if only for a couple of hours.  So in honour of this festive day I decided to make Broccoli soup....not because Broccoli is Irish (I'm quite certain it's not) but because it's green, and seeing as I have to miss out on the Green beer this year I figured why not.


  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves of Garlic, chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 8 cups broccoli florets
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • ground black pepper to taste.......It's that easy

Mmmmmm Soup is my comfort food, I like all kinds of soups in all sorts of flavours.  As a kid I never used to appreciate soup, I think because I didn't really know that all those different varieties existed.  I'm pretty sure as a kid I thought the word soup was synonymous with Chicken Noodle or Tomato.....not that there is anything wrong with those flavours, it's just that there's so much more out there!  and for me soup is a great way to eat foods I don't like, take broccoli for example; I won't eat it raw I don't care for it cooked, steamed, grilled......not even if it's drenched in cheese sauce.  But give me a hot bowl of homemade Broccoli soup and I'm a happy girl!......Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment