Monday 28 March 2011

A slow cooker is a mom's best friend

I love things that make my life easier and less complicated, so, by definition I love my slow cooker!!!!!!
She really is a beauty! Since purchasing her only a short while ago she has really earned her keep.  Today while my little bundle of perpetual energy napped I was able to do all my dinner prep, toss it into the slow cooker and now I even have time to type this blog.
so what ridiculous easy recipe is on the menu for tonight?  spicy chicken wings and oven roasted vegetables.

(This is them just after I put them in the slow cooker....once they were finished we were too hungry to take pictures so no final product pics sorry) lol!!!

You start by splitting the wings and discarding the tips (to avoid being wasteful, I boil the tips with some onion ,celery, salt pepper and garlic to make my own homemade chicken stock) toss the wings into the slow cooker, right on top you add 1/4 cup of molasses, 1/4 cup lemon juice, a couple splashes of Worcestershire sauce a couple cloves of minced garlic (to your taste) a couple splashes of hot sauce (to your taste) and a tsp of onion powder.  mix it all together, make sure it coats the wings and set the cooker to low and leave it for between 5-6 hours.  I'll let you know how they taste in my next post!


For the roasted veggies I used:
 1 butternut squash 1inch dice
 1 onion rough chop
3-4 parsnips 1 inch dice
3 carrots 1 inch dice
1 red pepper
2 leeks cleaned and cut into 4 equal pieces
handful of full garlic cloves  peeled

season with salt and pepper, 1/4 cup of dry red wine  (to give the vegetables a different taste the wine can be changed up with an apple juice/white wine reduction, a light coating of balsamic vinegar glaze or for a super easy version just coat the veggies in a  bit of zesty Italian dressing cover the bottom of a large casserole dish and pop them in the oven for 45min-1 hour

stay tuned, pictures to follow!

3 comments:

  1. Our hot sauce is my favourite part. Also, why is the slow cooker a her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We want chicken wings... and pictures!

    ReplyDelete