Thursday 1 September 2011

Pie for Dinner.


I love pie!  All kinds of pies, fruit pies, meat pies, sweet pies and savory pies!  There is so much variety, you can do just about anything.  A couple of nights ago I was feeling the corn and onion vibe.

  I started with 5 corn on the cob, I threw them into a pot of boiling water until cooked.....I don't know......say 20 minutes?......I wasn't really paying attention.  once they were cooked I cut the corn from the cob.......to save yourself some time you could just use frozen corn that you've let thaw, but hey I had the corn on the cob in the fridge. I chopped and sauteed a large onion with 2 cloves of garlic and I seasoned it with cracked pepper and ground thyme.  I turned the heat down and added the corn to the onions.  I then proceeded to stir in and melt 6oz or cream cheese.  Once everything was fully incorporated I let the mixture cool and then beat in one egg
evenly spread the mixture into your pie shell
when it comes to pie shells you have two options you can buy the frozen ready made shells or if you have a few extra minutes you can make it yourself from scratch........that's literally all it takes is 3 or 4 extra minutes.  I have a few different pie crust recipes in my repertoire but for this particular occasion I selected my most basic savory style shortening centered recipe.

Here's what you need:
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold water
Here's what you do:
Mix shortening, flour, and salt together with a fork or a pastry blender until very crumbly. Add as much water as needed to hold together, and mix lightly with a fork.
Roll gently onto floured surface so that the diameter is about an inch larger that your pie plate.  Carefully lift and press crust into pie plate.
If adding a top crust again roll gently onto floured surface cut out centre shape to release steam carefully lift and place on top of filled pie. using your fingers go along the outside of the pie and pinch the two layers of crust together 
brush with a little bit of egg wash or milk and then pop her in the oven (350) for about 45 minutes and your done!  Sorry I forgot to take the after picture, the pie just smelled so good that 10 minutes after T got home the buzzer rang and we just cut into it immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment