Thursday 22 September 2011

Milanesa/Schnitzel

Both T and I are huge fans of this dish although he grew up calling it Milanesa and I believe in his house it was usually made using thin cuts of beef.  I on the other hand, until I met T only knew it as Schnitzel and I associated it most often with veal......yes I know veal is actually cow but I think most people would agree with me that a veal steak tastes decidedly different than a beef steak.  I have also tried this recipe using thin cut pork and it also works nicely.

Ingredients:
2 pounds veal, pork, or beef scallopini (cut no thicker than your finger)
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups bread crumbs
1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 cup oil for frying
4-5 cups of milk

**************
The night before you want to make this, you should tenderize the meat and then cover it in milk in an air tight container and put it in the fridge until you are ready to cook it.  As I understand it, using the natural enzymes and acidity in milk is a great way to further tenderize the meat.
******************
Directions
take your thin and tenderized steaks, and dredge in flour. In a shallow dish, beat the eggs with salt and pepper. In another dish combine the bread crumbs and the grated Parmesan.  Coat the veal with egg mixture, then with bread crumb mixture.
Heat 1/4 cup oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Fry until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes on each side.  Squeeze fresh lemon over top and Serve immediately

Make sure you make more than you need for dinner because the left overs make delicious sandwiches!

No comments:

Post a Comment