Sunday 3 April 2011

Easy Roasted Chicken

Often I notice great sale prices on whole chickens at my local grocery store, and although I've made roasted chicken quite a few times in the past I always forget how easy it is and often walk by those great sale prices without a second glance.  but now my son is in a I Love Chicken phase, and just can't get enough!  Neither my husband nor I are chicken fanatics as we both generally prefer red meat but now, in an effort to keep things healthy and varied I've been experimenting with a bunch of different chicken recipes and this is an oldie but a goodie!  like I said, I often forget how easy this one is and it is oh so yummy!
I started making this recipe while we were in Germany and have subbed the chicken for duck and goose (unintentional I assure you!)  the recipe works best with chicken (about 3 lbs) but duck was okay too.


make sure all of the giblets and insides are removed from the chicken cavity quarter 2 small onions and stuff inside the bird along with a few whole garlic cloves.  Rub the outside of the chicken with salt pepper onion powder (I've also added a bit of Cayenne in the past for a bit of spice)  next cut 1/2 cup of butter into smallish cubes and place around the chicken and 1 or 2 inside with the onion and garlic



Then you just throw her into a preheated oven (350 degrees)  uncovered for about an hour and 20 minutes....cooking time varies depending on the size of the bird.....I am always paranoid of under cooking chicken so to avoid any chance of potentially getting sick from undercooked chicken I use a meat thermometer (my dad got me an awesome one from Williams Sonoma one year at Christmas) to make sure the internal temperature hits 180 degrees....insert it into the fleshiest part you can find and make sure you don't hit bone


Once the Chicken is out of the oven let it stand for about 20 minutes and I promise you you will have the most juicy, tender, flavorful chicken you've ever made!

No comments:

Post a Comment