Friday 8 July 2011

German style potato salad


I loved lots of things about living in Germany, particularly the food.  German food is so delicious.....so rich.....so filling.  Never having spent much time in Germany before moving to Munich, the amount of Pork and Potatoes that the Bavarians ate was at first a little overwhelming, but before long T and I had embraced our new life and all the delicious food that came with it!  Often when T and I are reflecting on our time there and thinking of the friends we miss since we've come home or yummy food we ate or the places we visited it sparks a craving in me for a true German potato salad. The potato salad we have here in North America while good, has nothing on German potato salad......in my opinion.  T and I have been back in Canada for over a year now and I have only just found a potato salad recipe that is even close to the deliciousness that I remember and long for.
  • 3 pounds potatoes, peeled boiled and sliced
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons dried parsley
  • ground black pepper to taste

  • In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, oil, vinegar, sugar, parsley, salt and pepper. Gently stir in the potatoes and onion. Let stand for 1 hour before serving to enhance flavors.
I think that this recipe is a pretty good dupe for the German potato salad I so fondly remember, and it's definitely worth a try.  I'd love to know what you think and let me know how you think it compares to your own potato salad recipe.   I would be over the moon excited if anyone out there has a better, or more authentic version that they would like to pass my way!  Keeping with that sentiment anytime you have a recipe that you think I might like send them my way!  I love to try new things and new techniques!

No comments:

Post a Comment