Monday 4 July 2011

Salad is not boring!

some of my favorites:
Tomato and Boccaccini
Mixed Greens and Mango with Goat Cheese
Black Bean Salad with Avocado
Cesar
Greek....hold the olives
Corn Salad
Cucumber Salad
Spicy Mexican Salad


Most of you have had a Cesar salad or a Greek salad at some point I'm sure....they tend to be pretty common on restaurant menus, same with the Tomato and Boccaccini salad also called the Caprese, but the Spicy Mexican Salad is a little different and always a huge hit whenever I serve it.  If you're interested here's the the recipe:

Ingredients
1 head of chopped romaine lettuce
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 Jalapeno pepper finely chopped
1/2 red onion finely chopped
1 generous handful  corn chips broken up into smaller pieces
Catalina salad dressing (enough to lightly coat the salad)


But I also make some of my best salads when I'm just trying to use up stuff in the fridge.  Most recently I had one peach and a handful of blackberries that weren't going to hold on much longer and weren't plentiful enough to really do a desert with so in the salad they go.  I had 3 boccaccini (medium sized) balls left over from a couple of days ago when I had decided to make a caprese salad so we threw those in, I chopped up a green onion and tossed in some romaine and voila, you have something resembling the photo above, and a great side dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment