Saturday 9 July 2011

Zucchinis out the Wazoo!

I've been getting a lot of Zucchini in my produce deliveries lately and so yesterday I got online and found 3 recipes I want to try.
Recipe 1. Zucchini Loaf
Recipe 2.  Zucchini Keftedes with Feta
Recipe 3. Zucchini Squares


I've only done the zucchini loaf so far but it was a success I think.  it was my first time trying this recipe.....I found it on AllRecipes and I was pretty happy with it!  I only modified the recipe slightly to suit my own tastes.
Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 2 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 3 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 1 cup chopped Almonds.....or any nuts you like......or leave them out, they are completely optional.

  • Here's what you need to do:
    1. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
    2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
    3. Beat eggs, oil, apple sauce, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
    4. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

The bread is nice and moist and sweet.   The flavour is a little Cinnamon heavy perhaps, but I like Cinnamon and tend to have a heavy handed with this ingredient.

I think I'll try the Zucchini squares tonight or tomorrow! Stay tuned for more photos and the other two recipes.

1 comment:

  1. Zucchini pancakes are really good with parmesan cheese!

    ReplyDelete